It was established in 1924 by Mrs. Anne Barton of Beacon Hill in Port Washington. Members used to meet in each other’s homes every two weeks, plan civic activities, exchange seeds and plants and have lunch.
Not so much has changed over the 90 years that have passed since. The Garden Club is now part of the Federated Garden Clubs of New York State.
Members meet monthly at the Port Washington Library. The club has lectures on horticulture, holiday decorating, house plants, workshops on dried and fresh flower arrangements, visiting various gardens when in bloom and, of course, have lunch.
A yearly calendar of events, which includes a small flower show every few years, is printed in July of every year and mailed to the membership.
The mission of the Garden Club is the beautification of the town, but has been limited to a scholarship fund for students of horticulture, holiday decorating at the local library, three window boxes at the railroad station, a large planter at the Town Dock and weekly arrangements at the library throughout the year.
The club is a not-for-profit organization and has tax exempt status. The holiday fundraiser party is held at a luncheon every December. New members are welcome; call Inge at 516 944-9594 or Gerry at 516 883-4098.