Dear North Hempstead Neighbor:
Hurricane Harvey has devastated Texas and our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected. Many people have asked how they can help. At this time, it’s been made clear that monetary contributions are the best and most effective way to help. If you want to help but aren’t sure where to start, tax-exempt charities that have indicated they are accepting Harvey-specific donations include these major relief organizations:
- American Red Cross. To make a financial donation, visit the their website, call 1.800.RED CROSS or text HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation for those in need.
- Catholic Charities of USA. To make a financial donation, visit CCUSA’s disaster-specific website or text 71777 to make a donation.
- Donors Choose has a fundraising campaign earmarked specifically for classrooms affected by Harvey. To donate or find out more, click here.
- Global Giving. To make a financial donation, visit their website or text HARVEY to 80100 to donate $10 to Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund.
- Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund. Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has established the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund that will accept tax deductible donations. The fund is administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity. To make a financial donation, visit the GHCF website.
- Salvation Army. To make a financial donation, visit www.helpsalvationarmy.org, call 1.800.SAL ARMY, or text STORM to 51555.
- United Way of Greater Houston has established a Flood Relief Fund to help with recovery needs of those most impacted. To give to the United Way Flood Relief Fund, visit unitedwayhouston.org/flood or text UWFLOOD to 41444.
Judi Bosworth Supervisor of The Town of North Hempstead and The Town Council