Neighborhood stores that have it all
Looking for a great gift? During a recent shopping trip, we visited seven stores on and near Main Street and discovered some incredible finds in a variety of price ranges for everyone on your list. Think birthdays, weddings, graduations, holidays, housewarmings, hostesses, teachers and thank yous. We found something fabulous for everyone.
Baltimore Design Center
The designers at Baltimore Design Center specialize in the creation of stylish and functional residential and commercial spaces. Their showroom houses an exclusive and extensive assortment of fabrics and trims, furnishings, accessories, rugs, wall coverings, window treatments and lighting, plus a unique selection of handpicked gifts for the discerning host or hostess.
- Hand-blown diffusers and candle holders, $60 to $115.
- Agate and geode coasters and cheese boards, $100 to $250.
- Picture frames, $40 to $150.
Hours: Mondays to Fridays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Saturdays 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., closed Sundays.
Info: 35 Main Street • www.baltimoredesigncenter.com • 516-944-2400
Painting with Flowers
At this charming boutique, you can outfit your home.
- The Mighty Purse (www.mighty-purse.com) features a hidden high-capacity rechargeable battery that can recharge your smartphone twice per charge. Styles vary, $98 to $135.
More finds: Serving bowls, platters and place settings in various sizes, shapes, patterns and shades of gray and cobalt (with custom colors and patterns available for special order) by Terrafirma Ceramics, Inc., in Astoria are artist-signed and dishwasher- safe, $38 to $210.
The Dolphin Bookshop
An independent bookstore and neighborhood gem, The Dolphin Bookshop hosts readings and book signings. The new, more spacious location has allowed for more extensive events, such as kids’ programs, book club meetings, fundraisers, poetry readings and concerts. Beyond books, the kids’ section offers arts and crafts, games, toys, customized (and premade) gift baskets and more for children of all ages.
- Reading timer bookmark with or without a booklight, $8.95 to $14.95.
- Backpacks for boys and girls, preschool to middle school, $25 to $40.
Hours: Mondays to Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Fridays from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sundays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Info: 299 Main Street • www.thedolphinbookshop.com • 516-767-2650
Two words describe Bluetique: fun and cute. You’ll find tons of great novelty gifts, vintage clothing and cartoonish goods at this boutique. Check their Facebook page for new arrivals or stop in any day of the week.
- Emoji-style line of products, backpacks, hair accessories, wristlets, jewelry, pillows, slippers and more, $3 to $17.
Hours: Mondays through Fridays from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sundays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Info: 25 Main Street • www.facebook.com/bluetique • 516-734-1002
Purple Consignment Store
A resale store that offers a convenient secondary market for valuable retail items, Purple combines both fashion and furniture consignment. Inventory arrives daily, so there are always fresh finds in designer clothing, shoes, accessories and jewelry. Selections include vintage items, as well as antique and contemporary furniture and home decor pieces. Go to buy or sell, or check out their online inventory.
- Hermès scarves, way below retail.
- Valentino handbag, $395.
- Wooden storage trunk with a lift-out tray, $375.
- Vintage copper kettle, $85.
- Tea cups, kettles, $20 to $100.
- Céline handbag (in the store, all brands start at just $20).
Hours: Tuesdays through Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Info: 41A Main Street • www.purpleconsignmentstore.com • 516-767-7670
Sands Point Shop
Whether you’re looking to treat yourself to something fabulous or need that perfect gift for a special occasion, Sand Point Shop’s selection of specialty items is bound to have just what you want, including handbags, luggage, apparel, jewelry, watches and more.
- Rose (or white) gold and diamond cuff by Robert Bartholomew, $2,600 to $2,995.
- Temple St. Clair bangle bracelets, $3,500 to $4,200.
- Longchamp luggage available in different styles, seasonal colors and standard black, blue and brown, $135 to $655.
Hours: Mondays through Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., closed Sundays.
Info: 15 Main Street • www.sandspointshop.com • 516-767-2970
Wit & Whim
This shop, just off Main Street, features a great selection of handmade, vintage, Americana and modern goods. Wit & Whim donates profits to a different charity each month. This September, profits will be donated to Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society (www.cowneck.org).
- One-of-a-kind, hand-blown hanging vase by Robert Wilson. Available in several colors, $75.
Hours: Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Info: 6 Carlton Avenue • www.wit-and-whim.com • 516-944-9200